Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Sicko

I haven't been feeling well lately. Not horrible, or really sick, just not well. My stomach has not been upset, nor have I had any other intestinal problems besides the occasional gas emissions that I've been a master of for decades. It was just that I was feeling sluggish, and I was having a little more acid indigestion than usual. I found myself grabbing the Zantac, and slugging down Alka Seltzer at an increased rate. So it was quite a surprise to me at what happened Sunday Morning and all the rest of that day. I'll try to put it as nicely as possible. Things were coming out of me that I have never seen before except maybe when I've had Cuban black bean soup. It really did scare me, and of course things like this always seem to happen on a weekend. One thing was for sure, I was not going to the emergency room and sit there for hours with all the other poor suckers who picked the weekend to get sick.

Monday morning I immediately called the doctor, and went over to see him. After some questions, and very uncomfortable probing, It turns out that I have a bleeding ulcer. The ramifications of this did not sink in at first, but after the doctor sat me down and explained everything, the horror of it all came crashing down. No more of Mark's delicious, highly spiced food. No more junk food like White Castles, and Wendy's double stacks with cheese. No more Mexican food. Oh, and did I mention, no more vodka, wine, or beer. I know that as time passes, and I start feeling better I'll begin to cheat back towards eating what I want. I just wonder what vodka and Maalox tastes like.

15 comments:

  1. I have been trying to tell you for years to change your diet and go more vegetarian. It is healthier for you. My friend just started a vegan/vegetarian blog with she will post delicious recipes for you or Mark to follow. Here it is:

    yourvegangourmet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm donning my black arm band for your eating and drinking lifestyle right now.I am officially in mourning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear that you are on such a restricted diet!
    I wish you a speedy recovery
    and hope you take good care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Merisi and Hostess, After seeing Merisi's post from yesterday about the Vienna farmers market, I felt better. (http://merisi.blogspot.com/)
    However, I can't have any of that great looking coffee you blog about all the time. By the way, last night Mark made a delicious stuffed pork loin with a nice sauce, and a side dish of rice with mushrooms, and asparagus. He still doesn't understand what a bland diet is. I ate it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's getting excited, his plan is finally working...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Visuals. We need more visuals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandma had a bleeding ulcer. I think I heard that story a million times and the moral always was "just take a peek in the bowl before you flush, honey. Ok? Do it for grandma..."

    And in my opinion...you can keep 10-15% of the good stuff in your diet as long as you are getting rid of the other 85%-90%. Seems reasonable, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jen, please tell me that grandma wasn't asking you to check hers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alan, have you been taking a lot of ibuprofen or Aleve? They are notorious for eating away your insides. Read up on ulcers and the ulcer diet... you may have to cook your own food!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting Peggy. When I was in Chicago I needed some pain relief (Not a hangover), and I bought a little bottle of Aleve. It worked so well that when I got home I got a big bottle, and have been taking one every night before bed. The last time I took one was Saturday night. GOD BLESS YOU PEGGY! This means eventually I can eat and drink again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yet another story about poop...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poop stories, get used to them, get over it. Poop is funny. Believe me, I could have got much more graphic in this story but the Mom factor kicked in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Also Alan, NEVER take any meds right before going to bed! It should be at least an hour before lying down and you should take them with 8 ounces of water. This way you are sure the pills are IN your stomach and not gnawing at your lower esophagus. And you are welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I told you a year ago what ibuprofen (Aleve) and Celebrex did to me. They work great on arthritis,but eventually hurt your digestive track. Again, some good advise that went in one ear and out your lower intestine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aleve is Ibuprofen? I guess I didn't pay attention.

    Celebrex, Celebrex, dance to the music. I hate that commercial and that song.

    ReplyDelete