Friday, March 30, 2018

I Prefer a Nice Camembert Myself.


My two dog's senses are amazing. They hear things I don't hear. They see things I don't see. They smell things I don't smell. (Yet, when Chandler farts, he doesn't seem to smell that. I'm thinking of installing a pilot light on his butthole to ignite the noxious fumes as they come out. ) Over the last few weeks both dogs have been hyper-excited every time I let them out in the backyard. They run along the fence and sniff all along the back wall of the porch. In fact Scout found a little hole near the porch wall and was really excited about what she had found. Over the last week the hole has gotten bigger and bigger, mostly because Scout has been shoving her snout down into it.

Rats, that is what is down that hole. The dogs know that there are rats in the yard when they are not around and that hole, it's a rat hole. So I baited a rat trap with some brie cheese that's been in the refrigerator for a few months, and stuck it under the porch. Every morning when I let the dogs out, I look under the porch and check to see if I have caught one. Yesterday morning I let the dogs out and they did a cursory check of the rat hole and walked away. No excited yaps, no clawing at the dirt around the hole, no running up and down the fence sniffing and barking. Sure enough, I looked under the porch and there was a rat, its head firmly smooshed in the rat trap. I was impressed. It was big, it was very furry. I figure it had its winter coat on as it went out looking for some food. Probably was quite surprised to find some delicious, well aged, French cheese under my porch. I disposed of the dead rodent and for the rest of the day, every time I let Scout and Chandler go out in the yard, they ignored the rat hole. They seemed to know it was gone, dead and disposed of. That is until late last night when I let them out for their last poopies. Once again Scout began clawing at that rat hole, Chandler ran up and down the length of the porch wall sniffing and barking. It seems the dead rat has a spouse. I didn't do the brie cheese again this time. Instead I'm trying good old American white bread, all balled up and stuck to the rat trap trigger. Bon appetite.

No comments:

Post a Comment