Wednesday, December 12, 2007

L.S./M.F.T.

When I was about ten years old my friend Arthur and I would go behind his dad’s garage to smoke cigarettes. We didn’t smoke fresh cigarettes out of a nice clean pack. No, we would pick up half smoked butts that were lying on the ground back behind his dad’s garage and smoke those. I never could figure out why so many half smoked butts were lying around back there, but there were a lot of them.

I was fifteen When I started serious smoking. This was because I could buy them out of the machine at the pizza place I worked at, and my boss didn’t care that a fifteen year old boy was smoking while preparing food for his customers. At that time a pack of ‘Lucky Strikes’ set me back thirty five cents.

Smoking at our high school happened at the ‘Smokers Corner’, a point northwest of our school, immediately over the school property boundary. As long as we weren’t on school property, nobody seemed to mind us smoking. If during the school day you really needed a smoke and couldn’t get out to ‘Smokers Corner’, you could walk past the teachers lounge and wait for the door to open. The cloud that would come wafting out would be loaded with enough nicotine to get you through another class. In 1984, I was thirty four and the price of a pack of ‘Marlboro Lights’ in Chicago went up to a dollar and fifty cents. I had tried to quit smoking a few times and managed to quit for only a few months before the delicious aroma of a freshly lit cigarette would lure me back. This time, however, it was the last straw and I swore I wouldn’t pay that much for something so unhealthy. I finally quit for good, only because I tend to be a cheap bastard.

Now, twenty four years later, I still don’t smoke but I do get a craving for a cigarette when somebody lights one up near me. Which is why I’m really glad that most places have been made no smoking areas, including our bowling alley. Also I save more money because I don’t have to use as much shampoo to wash the disgusting smell of other people’s smoke out of my hair.

4 comments:

  1. I remember trying cigarettes with the Crouse sisters on Ravinia Dr. Again, behind the garage was the place to puff. I never knew how he found out, but Dad pulled me out of bed at 5 am (before he left for work) and let me know that smoking would not be tolerated. At that time, he was still smoking and didn't understand hypocrisy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on! They're not called cancer sticks for no reason. What a disqusting, dirty, unhealthy, stinkin', money sucking habit it is. Sorry all you smokers...just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank god you quit, Alan. I lost my mother a year ago in June. she died at the young age of 61 from smoking. She had "quit" after being diagnosed with COPD which is a combination of bronchitis and emphysema. She lost total use of her lungs by the time she passed. They just die. I wouldn't wish the suffering she went through on anyone.

    I never really understood why anyone smokes. I understand that kids try it because they see parents and older people doing it (movies, tv, etc). I even put one to my lips becasue of the peer pressure of another kid. But once I tasted it, I said "YUK" and told the kid it tasted terrible and it was stupid.

    I'm surprised that the initial taste doesn't just stop all kids from smoking right away. Good thing they don't make them taste like chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They already do make chocolate flavored cigarettes and other flavors too. FYI

    ReplyDelete