Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Mini Me

 


A few years ago Mark had me stick a mint plant in the ground next to the fence. It was one little mint plant that grew, and grew, and spread until it lined the fence for fifteen feet. Not only that, it spread under the fence into my neighbor's yard. She didn't care. She stuck a bunch of it in a large baggie and took it to New York with her where she made mojito's for her New York friends. (She's got a good job and also has homes in New York and Los Angeles.) I've left the mint alone for the most part, unless it tries to break out of the area I have allowed it to have. That's when I hit it with the lawn mower, which does not bother it in the least. Within three days it has retaken the lawn and more.


About five or so weeks ago my friend, Chuck gave me a plant. It was a tiny thing with only three leaves.

"It's a mini pumpkin plant. They don't get any bigger than a softball."

So I took a little shovel and dug a hole in front of the mint. I stuck the 'mini' pumpkin plant in the hole and marked it with two stakes so I would know where I had planted it. For a few days it was touch and go. I wasn't sure if it would actually grow. I needn't have worried. After one good rainy day it took off like some kind of science fiction monster, growing at least six or more inches a day. I realized I had a problem when it tried to grab my ankle as I took out the garbage. It has now completely smothered the mint and is reaching out for my rose of sharon bush. So I have had to trim it a few times, but each time it grows back longer and bigger. I have rooted around under those leaves and I believe I may have at least two dozen mini pumpkins in a couple of months. Not exactly sure what to do with them, but they'll be there. I do have to hand it to the mint. It is putting up a good fight and I do see a few sprigs poking up from under the mini pumpkin plant. The fact is, the mint will win. It's a perennial. Mini pumpkin is only a scary annual.

1 comment:

  1. Put one of the mini pumpkins in your compost heap, it'll be back next year!

    ReplyDelete