Thursday, April 27, 2023

Hosta

 

My winter hosta garden

It's that time of the year again. Planting season. Out in the yard, all of my perennials are coming up nicely. I dumped my usual giant bag of wild flower seeds along the back of the house and next to the front porch. They have sprouted and are growing. Last week I drove out to the suburbs to dig up hostas from my sister's yard and transplanted them in my yard. They look fabulous.

About hostas. Over the years I have spent a lot of money buying plants from HD, Lowes, and garden centers. To save some money I decided to grow plants from seed. Starting in January I would set up tables in my living room and put my newly planted seeds in the window. I watered them and coddled them. Marigolds grew well that way. Last year I tried begonias. The result was just so-so, but I got some flowers out of that. This year I ordered seeds from Amazon. I ordered two hundred hosta seeds of varying types. I carefully planted and watered them, and then I waited. Water, wait, water, wait. After over three months of waiting, this is all I got. One tiny seedling. Very cute and it will probably mature into a nice hosta. The only thing bad about that seedling is that it cost me twenty dollars.

For scale, that is my finger in the upper left corner


No comments:

Post a Comment