Friday, September 15, 2023

Daisy, Daisy

 


When I hear the name, Daisy, I think of the HAL 9000 computer in '2001, A Space Odyssey' singing the song. Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. But this is not about HAL 9000 or the song. It's about a dog. On Saturday a small dog named Daisy should be coming to stay with me and Scout. Yes, another foster dog. Her present foster mom brought her by last Saturday to see how she'd get along with Scout. They got along just fine.

A lot of people ask me how I can do that, foster dogs without falling in love with them. I can't. I do fall in love with them. I look at it like this, Bucky had a very happy time while he was with me. He became a star in our neighborhood almost immediately, hopping around on those three legs. We walked twice a day until he couldn't walk anymore. Yes I was sad when he passed away from the cancer, but I knew all about that going in. After Bucky there was Cricket. Never a sweeter dog in the world than that little terrier. A real cuddly love bug who went to a very nice couple. Once again, I knew going in that Cricket was already adopted and I was only a short stopover until her new family was ready. She now has the undivided attention of her new human mom and dad.

So now I'm getting Daisy to foster. She's small, about one fourth the size of Scout. She's also a bit older than Scout. Mature is the word. At least she has all four legs and hasn't been already taken for adoption. So if I fail at being a foster father to her by adopting her myself, all will be fine. Because I'm half crazy, just like in the song.

 

Daisy

No comments:

Post a Comment