Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Kill a Lizard, Sniff an Ass, Poop at the Church

I walked Chandler yesterday like I always do. He managed to catch and flatten a lizard, he greeted and sniffed the ass of at least three other dogs, and finally he made his way to his favorite patch of grass down by the church where he took his customary dump. It is a routine that we go through three times a day, seven days a week. It is what my little pup lives for, so it was quite a shock when I read the Fort Lauderdale newspaper later in the day. It seems that Chandler's favorite pooping grounds are going to be bulldozed, and a gigantic gay resort hotel is to be built on the site. From a church to a gay resort, with a nightclub, movie theater, and restaurants. Just five houses down from me, a thumping, crowded, party place instead of a nice, sedate church.

So now I have to become 'Cranky Old Man'. When I was younger I always wondered who the hell these old farts were who had so much time on their hands that they could be out there bitching about every fun thing we had. Now I am that old fart. First I fired off an email to the mayor, and all the city council members, protesting the den of evil, drunken, youngsters that was being planned for my block. This was followed by another email to every member of the Eastside Neighbors Association. As an added element, I made sure I brought up the impending party palace construction to everyone I encountered on Chandler's walk this morning.

Sometimes being the cranky old man is lonely. You are mocked, and scorned. You are looked down upon by the folks whose fun you are trying to stifle. Not this time. Everyone agrees with me. In fact the wheels have already been put in motion to quash this abomination. I don't think a huge, noisy, gay resort has much of a chance of being built down our street. For that Chandler can thank me. His little spot where he has been pooping his entire life will be saved....   or maybe not.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you Cranky Old Man! It's amazing what towns will allow in residential neighborhoods when it comes to money. Your neighbors will thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get 'em, Alan!!! Take them down...take them ALL down!!! POWER TO THE CRANKY OLD MEN AND WOMEN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ummm..won't your property values skyrocket if this is built. Then you can sell out, make a hefty profit and move the hell outta there laughing all the way to the bank.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Garet, Because everybody wants to live near a noisy, five story resort hotel? I don't think so. In fact it will increase traffic on our street since that is the only way to enter the property. It won't go through. I've already talked to enough people, including a former mayor to know that.

    ReplyDelete