Wednesday, June 28, 2017

A Taxing Problem


Back in April Mark had me do his taxes for him. I don't know why, I'm not a CPA and I used to regularly flunk math when I was a kid. My math skills improved when I actually worked in places where I had to make change and when I went to school to learn that computer stuff. But really, I would not trust me to do anybody's tax return. I don't even do my own taxes. Never the less, I did Mark's taxes. It all seemed pretty simple. Fill in the blanks with the information provided on all the forms. No problem. The form for showing that Mark had health insurance was a bit confusing, but I put what he had in the appropriate lines. I then had him sign the bottom of the page, I sealed it in the envelope, and sent it off to the IRS. Last week the IRS sent everything back to him. They say that they need a little more information and included some more forms to be filled out. Again, Mark turned it all over to me. I believe that somebody said, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, is a sign of insanity. Mark is close to that edge. Yesterday I looked the forms over, read the instructions, and got a giant headache. It is very complicated.. at least to me it is. I have no idea why Mark thinks that I can do something that he finds too confusing to do himself. One thing the IRS does throughout the instructions is use acronyms and initialisms. Does anybody know what the hell SLCSP and APTC mean? Those abbreviations are used throughout the instructions. I have gone back through them over and over, and I cannot find what they mean. The fact that the instructions are in 8 point font size does not help either. Anyway, I took two Excedrin this morning and I will try again. What I probably will do is just scrawl across the form that Mark lived in Florida, then he moved, then he lived in Chicago, and things changed. I'm sure the IRS will understand all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment