Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Sexy Man in Glasses


I called this post 'Sexy Man in Glasses' because I'll get more hits on Google that way.

I took Mark over to Warby Parker yesterday for some new glasses. It is one of the easier stores with which to do business. They're fast and efficient with real nice kids working there. However, while waiting for Mark to finish his eye exam I sort of got involved in a discussion with the help. I'm not sure how it started, but it went something like this.
Somewhat older staff member: "Blah, blah, blah, blah Orson Welles... "
Barely twenty year old gay staff member: "Who?"
Somewhat older staff member: "Orson Welles."
Barely twenty year old gay staff member: "Never heard of that person."
Somewhat older staff member: "He was a director and actor...  umm..."
That's when I jumped in. "War of the Worlds, Citizen Kane."
Crickets and the look of newly hatched birds on the faces of the three young staff members standing across from me.
Barely twenty year old gay staff member: "Those are movies?"
Barely twenty year old woman staff member: "I think I heard of War of the Worlds. It had that old guy from Scientology in it... "
Barely twenty year old staff member with a wisp of a mustache: "Tom Cruise."
Barely twenty year old woman staff member: "Right, that's the one."
I think I figured out why these young people are so uninformed and unaware of things that are general knowledge. It's the books, the books right there in that store. They have shelves full of books all around that store and I don't think anybody has read even one of them. They're categorized by color, not subject.
Somewhat older staff member: "Yeah, I think there's a book about him up in the orange section."


No comments:

Post a Comment