Tuesday, November 22, 2022

LGBTQ+

 


Fifty years ago I walked into a rundown house on Elm Street in Chicago and I think I joined the Chicago Gay Alliance. I don't remember any membership application or rules, nothing like that. You just kind of showed up and you were in. It was definitely a big sausage fest, no women in the place. However, in June when the big Gay Pride Parade and rally was held, there were women everywhere. Lesbians, also drag queens, bi-sexual people, and trans people. All under the same banner. 'Gay Pride'. Sometime in the last forty years everybody has wanted to be included in the description of who we are. First it was LGB, then they added the T. I thought that now we were only up to LGBTQ+, but I recently saw this, 'LGBTQQIP2SAA'.  Adding new letters every couple of years is causing confusion and  really makes it difficult for television news reporters. I've watched a few of them trip over LGBTQ+ a couple of times over the weekend. It's time to pick one word that encompasses everybody whose sexuality has been marginalized, and excluded from society. Stop with the alphabet soup already. I have a bunch of alternatives already in mind, but I seriously fear backlash if I put them down here. Like this one. the Free And Good Society. You could shorten that to an acronym just to make it roll off the tongue easier. I'll have to check with homo headquarters about that. Yes, we have a headquarters... a whole hierarchy just waiting to take over the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment