Monday, December 27, 2010

Carlotta

I'm not an atheist because that would mean I believe in no higher power or being with certitude. I don't. Nor do I think I am an agnostic, because that would mean I believe that if there were a god, we couldn't prove it one way or another. What I am is a guy who doesn't believe in religion or any of the theories about life, and a possible afterlife that have been put forward. Don't get me wrong, I love the ideas. Like the idea that we have souls that transcend this physical existence. I really enjoy contemplating what if. What if reincarnation were for real. What if, if you die a martyr, you get a bunch of virgins to hang out with (what an awful thought, inexperienced sex partners). And what of the Christian belief that if you die with a clean soul, you get to hang out with Jesus, God, and the Holy Ghost for eternity. That one sounds a bit boring. Satan actually sounds more entertaining, except of course for the burning part.

This holiday weekend was a little sad for me. Besides the sad fact that I had to spend money buying Mark presents that will only end up as more clutter, my oldest kitty, Carlotta died. She was never the friendliest cat, but she loved me. Ever since that October evening seventeen years ago that I bent over and scooped that little gray kitten up into my arms, she was my cat. Not Mark's, not Garrett's, mine. She had no use for anybody but me.

I'd like to think that skinny little Carlotta went on to her next life. Maybe reincarnated as one of those 'Real Housewives' from Bravo. Or, maybe there is a kitty cat heaven. A place where cats chase the dogs, and they get to spend eternity in the warm lap of a human who never kicks them off. Any way, Carlotta was very sick and dying. I made the awful decision to euthanize her. She wasn't the first cat, or dog, that I had to make that decision for, yet it wasn't any easier this time. I was a bawling mess, all for a little gray cat. I only hope that when it comes time for Mark to pull the plug on me, he feels just as horrible.

10 comments:

  1. Alan, I am so sorry to hear about your kitty. It's never easy to lose one and even harder to make that decision. The only plus part is that she had 17 wonderful years as YOUR cat. 17 years is amazing. I do believe there is a place where all our animals are together, without pain and they can run or sleep or do whatever, until we join them later. If I didn't I would never stop crying.
    I know there will be another kitty for you, because of your love of animals, he or she is waiting for you at the shelter!
    Love you, and Happy Birthday, even though it probably doesn't feel happy.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark and I are both allergic to cats. I've been suffering through the allergies since 1976. Fat Kitty will be my last indoor cat. She's around 10 or 12 years old. When she goes, I will once again know life without allergy pills, tissues, handkerchiefs, and constant sneezing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear this news, Alan. Carlotta was definately your little companion. She will be missed. I remember going out to eat with you and Dennis 17 years ago and seeing some people feeding a kitten chicken in the parking lot outside the restaurant. You scooped her up and took her home. You gave her the best life a kitty could ask for.

    My Figaro, who I adopted around the same time passed away exactly 4 months ago today on July 27. He was a special cat and I still feel his presence at times. I feel him snuggling on my lap, nuzzling my chin or forehead, and licking my hand. He lives now in my mind's memories where he'll always stay safe.

    What helps me after the passing of a animal companion is to scan all their photos and make a Tribute slide show of their life. These tributes and nice to look back to from time to time to uplift my spirits.

    You did a very nice thing for Carlotta by giving her a home for 17 years, feeding her, cleaning up after her, paying her medical expenses, and a warm lap. All she could give you was unconditional love. Thank you Alan for your kindness to this once little lost orphan that needed a home. You did good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, by then you'll be into depends and walkers.
    How old are you today???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alan, I am so sorry to hear about Carlotta. I put down my dog Snowy about 18 months ago and it still makes me sad to think about it. You gave each other 17 wonderful years.
    jackie
    ps
    What's this I hear about a birthday?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today is Alan's Birthday. He's 49...again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear about Carlotta. She was a lucky kitty to belong to you. Just think - she's with Molly now in animal heaven!
    And happy belated birthday you good looking 49 year old!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alan: I am sorry about Carlotta. I haven't been reading your blog for a while and didn't know. Happy Belated Birthday too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heartfelt condolences about Carlotta. I am not a people person...I am an animal person and I see that we have that in common. Also my man...I see we are both Capricorns. Well done for making it thru another year, Alan.

    ReplyDelete