Friday, April 6, 2018

Original Man Cave



I continue to scan photos at my Mom's house. I did one full book and I am one fourth of the way through the second one. There are about eighteen more after that. I find it to be a fun exercise and by including Mom in the process, I think she's benefitting. Although, at one point, after identifying a number of people in the photos, Mom looked at me and asked, "How did I get here?"  I was not ready for an existential question like that. I thought for a moment, then asked her, "You mean how did you end up in this house?"  She looked at me with some confusion, and said, "Yes, when did I move here?"  Oh, I was relieved. So I started with her and Dad buying the house on Ravinia, then the house on 68th Court, and then explained how she and Dad had the house she lives in built. She then asked what year it was so I told her. She thought for a minute then said, "Oh, your dad has been gone for eighteen years now."  Mom seemed satisfied at that point. I think she had what we would call a 'brain fart' from looking at all those photos. It kind of took her right back to the 1950s.

I'm enjoying going through all the old photos myself. I can't believe how short I was. Besides all the family photo shots, I am scanning some that make no sense to me at all. I'm sure when my dad put them in the books he knew who was who. I just don't recognize all the old neighbors in there. For instance there's this one of a nice lady standing under a tree. I like the composition, but the real reason I scanned it was the car. A 1955-56 Pontiac.




And then there is this one of a picnic in the summer of 1958. I do not recognize anybody in the photo other than my older sister Peggy, and my Mom. What I love about it is what's on the picnic table. A can of 'Buckeye Sparkling Dry Beer', brewed in Toledo, Ohio, and a large can of "Healthful Food" New Era Potato Chips. The two curious boys staring into the camera are a hoot too.




But the one at the top of the page is my favorite. My dad in his garage sanctuary. One summer he built himself a large screen enclosure that fit over the garage door so that he could sit out there and watch his baseball games in peace. This photo brings back tons of memories. All that stuff behind dad, the lounge chairs, and that portable television. I remember that the television was pink. Unfortunately for dad, his little hideaway didn't last long. Seven children looking for a fun place to play, pretty much destroyed any illusion of solitude for him.

1 comment: