Monday, December 16, 2019

1921


Michigan Avenue looking north at Chicago Avenue. 1921

We had a great time at Mom's ninety eighth birthday party on Saturday. Mom was born just a few months before this house we now live in was finished, and I think our house is old, very old. So I started thinking about just what it was like ninety eight years ago. The year of Mom's birth and the year our house was being built. I started Googling the facts. It was the first full year of commercial radio, KDKA in Pittsburgh. Before that it was just a few thousand amateur hobbyists screwing around with crystal radios. 1921 was the year the movie, 'The Kid', with Charlie Chaplin was released. It was a silent movie, sound wouldn't happen in movies for six more years. Five million Ford Model T's were built and sold that year. A model T cost about three hundred dollars. Average income was $3,300, and Warren Harding was president. A lot of history has passed in Mom's lifetime. She remembers most of it, but can't remember what she had for breakfast. Which isn't so bad. The last breakfast I remember was last Friday when I used sour milk on my Frosted Flakes and barfed it all back up an hour later. So Happy Birthday Mom, and have a great ninety ninth year. I hope you live long enough to leave your children nothing. 

Mom with her latest great grandchild.

No comments:

Post a Comment