Monday, April 12, 2021

April 12, 1940. Eureka Springs, Arkansas

 A found photo

 

It was a beautiful day in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Anne was feeling the season and was in good spirits. She had checked into the Crescent Hotel next to the Hilltop Cottage Tearoom on Circle Drive. Anne had just arrived from Saint Louis and hoped things would be better now that she had left Harry. 'Certainly he'll never find me here', she thought. Harry was abusive and when he was drinking, which was most of the time, he would disappear for days. Usually to be found with another woman at the Tower Motor Court. So Anne left hoping to find Marge. She was sure that Harry knew nothing about her. She had met Marge on a women's Christian retreat the year before. They had bonded immediately as friends, and on one special night, shared a bed in a way that Anne had never done with Harry.

Anne called Marge from the hotel room.

"Hello."

"Marge, it's me, Anne. I'm in Eureka Springs and I want to see you."

"You are here?"

Marge put her hand to her breast and let out a quiet sigh.

"Where are you right now?"

"I'm at the Crescent Hotel, next to a little tea room. Maybe we can meet there."

"But of course. The Hilltop Cottage. I live very near there."

So that afternoon Anne and Marge met at the Hilltop Cottage Tearoom on Circle Drive in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. They nibbled on sandwiches and sipped tea while talking about many things.

"Oh Anne, I can't believe you got my letter and came here so quickly."

"Letter? You sent me a letter?"

"Yes, a very personal letter. I have thought of you ever since our time at the retreat. Certainly that's why you are here. I wrote you asking you to come see me. I was hoping and  praying we could..."

"I never got a letter from you. When did you send the letter?"

"A few days ago. Certainly you got my letter. I mean, you're here. Right?"

At that moment Anne looked out the window. Right outside, Harry's Oldsmobile pulled up in front of the teahouse......


 

1 comment:

  1. Great story, Alan.
    Love this, although it doesn't sound like things are going to end well...

    ReplyDelete