Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Lady in the Orange Vest

 


After three tries I finally was able to transfer title of our car from Mark to my name. On the first try I drove over to the DMV only to find that the Vehicle Services section was closed on Monday. The rest of the place was open, but not the section that handles title transfers. So I left and returned the next day. I had every form the web site said I would need, and more. I had Mark's will, power of attorney, forms downloaded from the Secretary of State's office. I even brought Mark's last driver's license. It was not enough. I left with more forms to fill out and get notarized clenched in my angry fist. I returned yesterday. This time absolutely sure I had all I needed. I got in line outside the door and waited. When the lady in the orange vest asked me what I was there for I showed her what I had and what I wanted to do.

"Sir, do you have the RU-DE-9 tax form?"

"I'm sure I do."

And I started rifling through the large pile of forms I had with me. The lady in the orange vest was impatient.

"Let me see those..."  She flipped through my papers, "Nope, you don't have it."

She handed me another form and sent me over to a table to fill it out. As I entered the data, it all seemed familiar. So I looked again in my large envelope full of documents.

"Ah ha!" I shouted, "Here it is!"

I walked back over to the lady in the orange vest and showed it to her.

"Okay, fine. This is good. Wait in line over there."

By this time the line had built up longer and I noticed other people being let right in.

"Um, excuse me, lady in an orange vest? Why are those people going ahead of the line?"

"They're seniors sir."

It was a backhanded statement. Yes, very nice that she didn't think I was over sixty five. Sad that I had to use the old age card to jump the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment