Monday, June 7, 2021

Today's Tom Sawyer

 


One of my long time regrets is that I didn't take auto mechanics in high school. Even though I loved cars and couldn't wait to drive one, I passed on the opportunity to take that class. Instead I opted for the easy class, architectural drafting. It was clean and all you had to do was draw lines on paper. I did very well in that class.

With all the old cars I have owned in my life, that auto mechanics class would have been very helpful. Instead I have had to either pay somebody else to do the work on my cars, or sell them off when they got too complicated. Now I am again involved with an old car. A ninety two year old Ford, and I'm trying to do everything that needs to be done, myself. Over the weekend I changed a tire. I don't mean that I took the spare mounted on a wheel and exchanged it with one of the four other tires. I actually removed the tire from the rim and mounted a brand new tire with an inner tube on that rim. There was no cursing. There were no injuries. It was not that difficult. In fact it reminded me of doing the very same thing on my bicycle when I was a kid. I did learn another thing while I was replacing that tire. I learned that if I open the garage door while I work, numerous old guys would somehow appear and start asking me questions. Some of them were even helpful. Like seventy five year old Steve from a couple of doors down. I got him to crawl under the car and break loose the filler plug on the differential. I had been wrestling with that thing for a month and could not budge it.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment