Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Mom's Cherry Coffee Cake

 


I have managed to lose nineteen pounds in the last year. It's been slow and the big reason I lost that weight is because I've deleted ninety five percent of the sugar intake I used to gobble up. Ah, but Satan always is nearby.

After Saturday, when I had Mark's family and my family along with a few close friends over, there was some food left. My guests had voted with their stomachs and the result was clear. Cold cut and cheese wraps won out over the muffuletta sandwiches three to one. I've been eating muffuletta sandwiches twice a day for three days now. I don't know how much longer that can go on. There was other food left over, including cakes, cookies, and my mother's recipe coffee cake. The cakes and cookies that weren't eaten, were left on a tray overnight on the counter wrapped in Saran Wrap. Also on that tray was the coffee cake that my sister Peggy made. It was so good, exactly like Mom used to make it. Which is why all morning on Sunday I was slowly eating it from the tray of sweets. About ten slices of that coffee cake were left over and by early afternoon I had gone through nine of them. That's when Dennis came down from his apartment upstairs to help me eat the rest of the stuff on that tray. "Go ahead and help yourself." I told him. He lifted the Saran Wrap off of the tray.

"Thanks, but no. This stuff is covered in ants."

I reached for my glasses and put them on. Suddenly the tray of cakes and cookies came alive. It was true, ants everywhere including on the last piece of Mom's coffee cake. I had been eating ants all morning. So I took off my glasses, picked up the last piece of coffee cake, and shoved it into my mouth. No way was I going to waste that. I did throw the rest of the stuff into the trash.

 

1 comment: