Monday, November 22, 2021

Not So Tired

 

When I was sixteen years old and had my thirty year old Studebaker, all I wanted to do was drive it. That was in 1966. Now I have a car that was built just six years before that Studebaker, but it is nearly ninety three years old. My 1929 Ford Model A. I do enjoy driving it. No matter where I go, I get honks from other cars, waves from people walking down the street, and at least a few "Hey man, nice car." Unlike sixteen year old Alan, old Alan also enjoys tinkering with the thing just as much as driving it. Each little project creates waves of satisfaction, usually after some disappointment. Last week we 'lubed' the undercarriage. And by 'we' I mean my niece's husband, Tim. I stood around and handed him things and performed various other helpful jobs, like turning on the lights in the garage. Anyway, each little project I finish is like a present I gave myself. Today is a big day. I'm having four brand new tires mounted on the Model A. I have them stacked in the back seat right now and will be going over to a motorcycle shop where they have all the equipment to do the job. I did mount one new tire on the spare wheel earlier this year. That's when I learned removing a thirty year old tire from the wheel is difficult. Also, I have no place to dispose of that old tire. So I will be paying a motorcycle guy to do the job. And that one tire I took off, next spring I will have a nice white wall planter around the tree out front.

No comments:

Post a Comment