Tuesday, March 22, 2022

I'll Tumble For You

 


I had an appointment with the dermatologist yesterday. I had planned to cancel it, but you know. Twenty seven years living in Florida and there's always a chance that sun got me. So, I went to the appointment.

Funny thing about me. I usually have a  pretty good fall at least once a year. I've messed up my ankles, my knees, and bruised most of my extremities taking a dive. What I've learned from all the trips and falls is that you have to roll with it. Don't put your hands out front to break the fall, you'll only break your wrists. Anyway, I'm leaving the doctor's office and walking across the street to the parking lot. I could have crossed at the marked crosswalk with the designated sidewalk that enters the parking lot. But no, I'm better than that. I crossed in the middle of the block with the idea that I could climb through the shrubbery and get to my car more quickly. I never got to the shrubbery. I tripped on the curb and hit the sidewalk like a sack of potatoes. I rolled with it, just like I said you should. This had me end up on my back with my arms flailing about like an upended turtle. A young man who had been a few steps behind me stopped and asked if I was alright. The only word that came out of my mouth was, "Fuck!", which I just kept repeating. The young man stood there for a moment and then walked away. Apparently cursing does not get you much help. Then two more young guys came trotting over, seemingly upset that the other guy didn't help me get up. Again, they asked if I was alright. Unfortunately the only word that wanted to come out of my mouth was "Fuck", which I was still repeating over and over again. They also did not help me get up, and walked away. Once I assessed my situation and determined that nothing was broken and nothing was bleeding, I dragged myself to my feet. I was going to be okay even though I was still muttering the word "Fuck" as I wobbled to my car. So everything turned out just fine yesterday morning. I didn't break any bones, and I don't have any skin cancer.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it's time to invest in a cane and have one of those foldable walkers in your car.

    ReplyDelete