Monday, June 12, 2023

Memories, Cobwebs in the Corners of My Mind....

 


I have a terrible memory, always have. I have to read and re-read things because I often forget what I just read. This goes all the way back to grade school, where the nuns and other teachers would tell my parents, "If Alan would only apply himself." Now that I have found myself on the ugly side of seventy, my memory seems to be getting just a little worse.

Last week I was moving stuff around on my dining room table (I use it for much more than just dining these days) and I came across a bit of paper from the Chicago City Clerk's Office. It was about renewing the tax tag for my 1929 Ford. I can purchase one for my 2014 Ford on line, but not for an antique car according to the city web site. It said that I would have to go in person to the clerk's office. So that's what I did. I even drove the 1929 Ford to the office on Gale Street. What I found was a long line and no parking anywhere near the clerk's office. So I turned around and went home. On Thursday I tried again, only earlier in the day and I drove the 2014 Ford. This time there was a parking spot right next to the building and the line of people waiting only stretched about ten feet out the door. I got in line with the rest of the cattle and slowly shuffled my way until I was first in line.

"Next!" Called out a clerk from behind her little window.

I handed her the bit of paper the city had sent me with all my information on it.

"Registration."

"I'm just renewing the city tag. You have my registration in your computer."

"You can only buy a new tag with your registration."

"It's not a new tag. It's a renewal. The city sent me that paper."

She looked at the piece of paper I had handed her, turned it over and said,  "This is last years."

I took it back from her and looked at it. It was not from last year, unless I fell asleep for an entire year and it was now 2024. Which is isn't. The lady behind the little window walked away for a minute and a different lady returned.

"You can't buy a new city tag without the State of Illinois registration."

And that was that. I bottled up my rage and walked out of there. I was pissed. I was going to send off a stern letter to the City Clerk. Son of a bitch, this meant I would have to make a third visit to the clerk's office. Grrr.....

On Friday I got mail from the Chicago City Clerk's Office. Inside was the little metal tag for my 1929 Ford. I was baffled. Were they trying to apologize for screwing with me? The receipt with the tag showed that I had paid for it, but they didn't take any money from me at the clerk's office. Then I started to think. That little piece of paper with all the information on it. It was torn at the bottom like part of it was missing. Like maybe a form you would mail in with a check to purchase your new vehicle tag. Seriously, I forgot that I had mailed in for that. I forgot that I had written a check for thirty three dollars to the City of Chicago and mailed it to them. At least I think I did. I don't really remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment