Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dog vs. Dog

There is a very big difference between a dog you bring up from a puppy, and an adult dog you adopt from someone else. Chandler understands me. If we are out walking and I say wait, he stops and waits. If I say come, he comes. When I'm eating dinner he can tell I'm almost done just by the sound of me scraping the last morsels off my dish, then he suddenly pops up at my elbow. He knows that he gets to lick the dish. Also, I can read Chandler, like this morning at three thirty. I awoke to find him staring directly into my eyes. He was standing next to the bed making quiet squeaking sounds. He had to go poop. He didn't have to make a big fuss, just a few squeaks and I knew.

Sasha on the other hand is a mystery. We've had her for about two months now and I am slowly figuring some things out. For instance, at some point somebody taught her to poop and pee in the shower. Thankfully she does it in Mark's shower. Another oddity about Sasha is that she's afraid of farts. When she hears a fart she jumps up and runs away. It makes me laugh every time, so much so that I've been forcing them lately. That has created a few problems, but Mark takes care of those in the laundry.

Sasha has such a different personality than Chandler. When I say come, Chandler comes bounding towards me like a big goof. Say come to Sasha and she just sits there looking at me. It's not a blank stare, it's more like a 'Why should I be your bitch' look. I swear I can see it in her eyes. She does like me. I can tell by the way she sleeps with me, or should I say under me. Every night I wake up and feel a lump under my head. That little dog burrows her way under my pillow. At first I was afraid I was going to suffocate her. I'd jump up in a panic and wake her just to see if she was alive. That kind of pissed her off, so now I just lay there on my lumpy pillow and listen to her muffled breathing and occasional muffled snorts.

Despite all the weird things about Sasha, she's a good dog and I love her. She's very sweet and for the most part well behaved, except for one thing. She barks at every goddamned thing that moves, and I mean everything.

4 comments:

  1. You just listed all the differences between a large dog and a small one. I'll take a large dog anyday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a small dog and her behavior is almost perfect. She never barks unless the doorbell rings and then only once or twice. She NEVER goes to the bathroom in the house and gets along with everyone. I've always had big dogs and never thought I would have a small one. Now that's the only kind of dog I would have. It's especially nice when it's time to pick up her poop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just haaaaad to include farting, pooping, and skidmarks in a perfectly good story about dogs. Didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Sasha sounds like my ZOE....and Patti will say her Stella! It is the terrier (terror) in them. They have a Napolean syndrome related to being little and a chip on their shoulder. But you have already found out that when you get past it, they looooovvvve you completely. You, on the other hand, have to love her enough to be tough and consistent in regards to your rules. It took me a while to trust that ZOE would rather come back with me than run off with her friend, the weimeraner next door!

    ReplyDelete