Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I Friend Bubba

For quite a while I've been a facebook hater. I just didn't see the point. It seemed to mostly be a place for young girls to find old guys who lie about who they are, and a place for teenage boys to post self portrait photos they've snapped in the bathroom. No, I didn't like facebook, that is until today.

Yesterday afternoon the phone rang, it was a neighbor. He was walking his dog on the next block over, and he explained that he had come upon a stray. He needed a little help wrangling the pooch in, so I grabbed a leash and walked around there. It was a large white and brown dog, very friendly, he came right over to me when I called him. I slipped the leash on him, and walked him around to our block. It was as easy as that. Unfortunately he had no tags, but I suggested taking him up to the nearby veterinarian, who scanned him for a chip. Turns out his name was Bubba, he came from Pennsylvania, his owner's name is Ryan, and Ryan's phone was disconnected.

This is where facebook came through for us. We called the police, animal control, and Abandoned Pet Rescue, to report the found dog. I then went on line, and searched for the name of the owner. There were five people on facebook with that name (A somewhat unusual name at that). I then sent messages to all of them. This morning I checked my email, and sure enough the second reply was Ryan, totally relieved to find out some good Samaritans had his dog.

Ryan and Bubba have been reunited, and Ryan friended me on facebook. I friended him right back, and then took a little tour of his photo page. I was curious to see if he had any photos of Bubba on there. He did. He also had some of those self portrait photos that young guys take in the bathroom. No matter, I finally see the value of facebook. Societal contacts, and self portrait photos.

6 comments:

  1. You are such a good guy Alan. Thank goodness an animal lover like yourself found Bubba. Thanks for going the extra mile to re-unit owner and dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the owner look like his picture?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny, Alan, and Laura just rescued a stray also!! (See that photo on her facebook page) She didn't have as good luck as you did but hopefully someone will want the little black and white pup......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alan
    I got such a kick out of your comment on Tongue in Cheeks blog that I wanted to follow your blog.
    I love how this story ended for Bubba.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jennifer. I hope my sense of humor isn't too weird. I try to keep it just this side of the line. After all, my 89 year old mom, and all my sisters and brothers read it.

    ReplyDelete