Monday, August 5, 2019

Fried Green Tomatoes and Other Things


The Garden

I don't really like cooking. That is Mark's thing, but for the last year he hasn't been able to do much cooking. His health makes it necessary for me to whip something up most of the time. You would think that I would drop a few pounds because of that. I have not. Anyway, Sunday morning I knew I'd have to think of what to make for dinner. I was sitting out in the backyard with the dogs. Right in front of me was our new Weber Grill that Mark purchased online. To the right of that is our overgrown garden. Up in the refrigerator I knew that I had two steaks. In that green monster of a garden, I knew there were tomatoes that won't ripen because they don't get enough sun. Next to the tomato vine is a lemon cucumber vine. Is this how great chef's get inspiration? I decided that we would have grilled steak on the Weber. From the garden I would pick a couple of cucumbers and pickle them the way Mark likes them. Rice vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and flaked red pepper.


 Lemon Cucumber, Deep Down on the Vine

I took three large, green tomatoes from the vine, sliced them thin, then dragged them through flour, eggs, and then panko bread crumbs. I fried them up in the big skillet.  This was Sunday dinner, and it only took me about an hour to prepare not counting inspiration time. Steak, cucumbers, and fried green tomatoes. It was alright. Mark ate half his steak, half his tomatoes, and most of the cucumbers. You would think I would feel good about this. I don't. Because tomorrow I'll have to think of another meal to cook, and I don't really like to cook.
Dinner is Served

No comments:

Post a Comment