Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Sew, So


Notice that the scissors handle has been chewed
I'm not sure why the buttons on my pants keep coming off. I suppose it could be the thin, weak thread that is used, but I buy my pants from reputable manufacturers. I bought a nice pair of shorts from Eddie Bauer and within a few months the button at the top of my fly was hanging on by a thread. Sure enough, last week it came off... well, more like popped off. Went flying across the room, and if it hadn't been for Scout's keen senses I probably wouldn't have found it. So now I had a pair of shorts with no button and a button with a few chew marks on it. No problem, I would sew it back on. That is what I planned to do. So I searched the house and despite Mark having at least two of everything, he did not have a needle and thread. No sewing kit in the house. It was then that I remembered throwing one away when we moved. On my next trip to Walgreen's I found a little sewing kit right next to the incontinence and Ensure aisle. I bought the sewing kit and later that evening I sat down in the big fluffy chair with my shorts, the sewing kit, and the button. For what seemed like half an hour, I struggled with trying to stick the thread through the eye of that needle. When I finally, through a miracle, got the thread through the needle, it was all bunched up in a knot. No matter what I did the needle would not pass through the material. It would get stuck at the knotted thread wrapped around the eye of the needle. So after buying a sewing kit for five dollars, I took the shorts over to the cleaners two blocks away where the woman sewed my button back on for two dollars. Oh, and when I returned home the sewing kit was on the floor and Scout was chewing away on a spool of brown thread. Don't worry, all the needles were accounted for.

No comments:

Post a Comment