Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Volunteers


I didn't volunteer to go to Vietnam in 1969. And when Uncle Sam sent me an invitation with an 'or else' in it, I declined. But I did volunteer later in life to help out at an animal rescue. I love volunteers, especially in my yard. It's like a little gift from nature. By volunteer I mean those plants that spring up, that I didn't put there. This year a nice marigold popped up out of my nasturtiums. Over on the other side of the yard some kind of flower has grown up, big and beautiful. It kind of looks like a daisy, but I don't think that's what it is. Maybe somebody can identify it for me. Whatever it is, I'm glad I didn't 'weed' it out. Then there is the biggest volunteer out there. The one that volunteered way too much. Not that I think it's unattractive, it isn't. I think it is quite pretty, the morning glory. The garden is being overtaken by morning glories, and at this point I don't much care. I poured gallons and gallons of water on the tomatoes and cucumbers, water that the city charges me for, and all I've got are four cucumbers and four tomatoes. So if the morning glories want to choke them out, fine. 

I have no idea what this is

4 comments: