Friday, June 28, 2019

Purple Rain



Out in Tinley Park, on Ravinia Drive, is where I spent the first part of my life. Mom and Dad bought the house on Ravinia Drive in 1949. On about a quarter of an acre or less, they planted five apple trees, four elm trees, a poplar tree, two Lombardy poplar trees, a dogwood tree, a long row of lilac bushes, and a weeping willow in the yard. It was almost like living in a forest and it's where I became a tree hugger. I seriously love trees. So far, on my tiny city lot, I've planted a maple tree, a Japanese maple tree, a ginko tree, and an ornamental pear tree. Not really much room left for any more trees, but that was okay because the neighboring house had a nice growth of trees. In that backyard was a row of mulberry trees, lilac bushes, and some other wild trees that blocked the view of the alley behind Peterson Avenue. Despite the fact that birds ate the mulberries and then pooped purple poop all over everything in my backyard, I liked those trees. That house was foreclosed on and flippers have now bought the house from the bank. They have been working feverishly on the place, and a couple of days ago they cut down every single tree and bush on that property. I am sincerely hoping that they put up a tall fence on the alley side along with some nice landscaping. In the meantime I get to look at the rear of the commercial buildings on Peterson Avenue. Not nearly as pretty as the green trees, but at least there's no purple bird poop on my lawn chairs.


No comments:

Post a Comment