Monday, January 27, 2020

Back Where I Belong


I like Chicago. I grew up around here and it's comfortable. But there are problems. Corrupt politicians, crime, the weather. Three things that a whole lot of other places have in common with Chicago. Rare is the city or state that does not have corrupt criminals who run for office as smiling good guys. Crime happens everywhere. It certainly wasn't a gang of Chicago kids who shot up Columbine, or Parkland. So I can live with the corruption, I keep trying to vote the bastards out. I deal with the crime by not making myself a target. But the weather, what to do about the weather? It's like your life is on hold around here at this time of the year. Gray skies, gray trees, gray pavement covered with slop. Slop that is either frozen or in the process of freezing, or melting. Taking the dogs out isn't as pleasant as it is in June. Neither is taking out the garbage. Yes, I enjoy taking out the garbage when the weather is nice. I tend to run into my neighbors and we talk. Not this time of year. In winter I see my across the alley neighbors only when they pull the SUV out of the garage and drive away while waving to me. The backyard is a mess right now. Filled with dog turds, slushy snow, and mud. No way can I pick up that dog shit because I'm usually out there in my slippers, and I'm not wading into that in my slippers. Poor Mark hasn't been out of the house since November. He does have a doctor's appointment later today, so maybe. But what the hell, I'm in my hometown city and despite the gloom of January and February, I love it. Come April all is forgiven. Green things start popping, I can pick up the dog crap and daylight lasts longer than the darkness. Spring, summer, and fall are coming. That's when Floridians lock themselves up in the house with the air conditioner blasting non-stop for the duration.

No comments:

Post a Comment