Monday, February 24, 2020

My Urban Garden


In my dreams

Glorious weekend here in Chicago. We had two sunny days with the temperatures in the fifties. The dogs loved it, I loved it, and it got the juices running. Just like everybody else, thoughts of springtime and warmer weather filled my thoughts. "Ah ha!", shouted Mother Nature, "You fools." And then she stabbed us in the heart with an icicle. Today, in the mid thirties, and by the weekend below freezing again. However, we must look past the vagaries of Chicago weather and plan for the future. So last Friday I started my basement garden. Packets of seeds and potting soil were dragged in from the garage so that I could get a jump on my summer flower garden. No vegetables this year, they take up way too much room in the backyard. Most of them rot on the plant anyway because they all come to fruition at the same time. So it will be only flowers with maybe one tomato plant for the dogs. My dogs really love cherry tomatoes, so I will probably give them that. Of course, in my mind the garden is a carefully planned jungle of flowers and greenery. What will actually happen has more to do with my aching back, knees, and desire to pull out the weeds. Yes, there will be flowers. Yes, there will be greenery. Yes, there will be a tomato plant for the dogs. And yes, there will be strange plants growing that I can't identify until it's too late because weeds grow faster than I can move. Oh, and there will be dog poop... with tomato seeds in it.

Ready to go in about two months

No comments:

Post a Comment