Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Mark Update



It's been two weeks since they took Mark away in an ambulance, and I haven't seen him since. The hospital and the nursing home where he's getting physical therapy are locked down tight. No visitors. I am able to bring him lunch every day. I put on my mask, walk into the place and leave Mark's bag of food with the front desk. Sometimes they even bring it up to him before it gets cold.

It's weird here at the house. The dogs are sticking to me like Velcro. On the day Mark went to the hospital I put them in the back yard. When I let them back in, Mark was gone. They probably think that if they let me out of their sight, I'll disappear too. I thought it would be nice to have the house to myself for awhile, but I'm not really alone. I'll be in the house, it will be quiet, and then I'm sure I hear Mark's voice. 
"Alan, I need a bowl of ice cream."
"Alan, bring me some of those gummy candy things."
"Alan, where's my dinner?" 
But it's just my imagination. Very weird. Sometimes I even think I see him out of the corner of my eye, coming into the living room with that clunky aluminum walker. It all makes me just a little jumpy. I guess I miss the guy. Today I'm going to try and do that facetime thing with him on the phone. I know how it works, I'm not sure Mark will figure it out. According to what I was told, Mark is only supposed to be in the nursing home until the end of this week. As long as they can get him walking again, that would be nice. Then all those apparitions will be replaced by the real thing and I'll have a reason to be jumpy.

No comments:

Post a Comment