Monday, May 24, 2021

Air


The last four days found our temperatures up in the mid to upper eighties. In fact my thermometer said ninety one degrees on Saturday. So it has been hot for the month of May. Earlier in the week I had put the small air conditioner in the living room window, but it just couldn't keep up with the heat. I do miss the ease of whole house air like we had in Florida. Just touch a button and cool air flows from vents throughout the house. Installing such a thing in my nearly one hundred year old house would be quite expensive and disruptive, so I live with the window units. Yesterday I was sitting in my office, sweating my butt off, and I decided that maybe I could wrestle the large and heavy window air conditioner from the back porch to its place in the dining room. I put it in there because the dining room is central to the house. I hadn't planned to actually hoist it into the window, just have it there and ready for me to rope the next visitor into lifting it with me. It is very heavy. As the day wore on towards afternoon, the house got warmer and warmer. The big air conditioner was sitting right there on the floor. I don't know what got into me. But like a mother who suddenly gets super strength in an emergency, I squatted down, put my arms around it and hefted that thing up onto the window sill. I got it into the window and plugged it in. Ahhhh... sweet, cool air. For five years I haven't been able to lift that air conditioner by myself. But I did it. One hour later a breeze blew in off of Lake Michigan and the temperatures dropped twenty degrees and stayed that way. At least I got it done for the summer heat coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment