Monday, August 9, 2021

Tight Nutz

 

Actual photo of me trying to fix my car

You have to always remember, I am not an auto mechanic. So things went like this. The coil in my 1929 Ford looked to be the original part the Ford Motor Company put in there ninety two years ago. I replaced it because I thought a new one would give me a stronger spark when starting the car. I was correct. The car started up on the first try instead of taking two or three tries. Anyway, that's when I realized the wire from the coil to the distributor wasn't in very good shape. So I replaced that. Now the car wouldn't start. I put the old wire back in there, but the car still wouldn't start. To my ears it sounded like the engine wasn't getting enough fuel to keep it running. I then began dismantling the sediment bowl, which is what Henry Ford put in those cars as a fuel filter. Have I mentioned that I am not an auto mechanic? Now I have a stripped thread where the fuel line connects to the sediment bowl. This is because I didn't read the manual before starting. It clearly says, "Hand tighten". Like a dumb monkey, I took a wrench to it. So at this point I am going to order all new fuel lines, a new sediment bowl, and start over. Oh, and by the way. I never did figure out if fuel was flowing from the gas tank to the carburetor. It definitely isn't now.

No comments:

Post a Comment