Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Are You Sure Today Is Monday?

One of my biggest fears about aging is losing my memory. I don't want to end up roaming around a house full of strangers who tell me I'm related to them. It would be embarrassing, and confusing to hear, "Uncle Alan, for the last time, I am not a drag queen, and this is not a gay bar!".

I used to have a pretty good memory, but over the last twenty years or so I have found that I tend to forget a few more things than I used to. I forget movies that I have just watched the week before, and I am horrible with peoples names. I seem to remember folks dogs names just fine, and often have to refer to my neighbors as, Fritzy's mommy, or that woman who walks Chase.

Saturday, a friend of mine brought over a bunch of old house paint for me to take, along with mine, to the hazardous waste collection site on Sunday. I had about fifty old paint cans I wanted to get rid of, and my friend had seven. Once a year they collect all the poisons, solvents, paint, and old batteries accumulating in peoples homes and sheds, at one place here in town. I offered to take all of my stuff and my neighbors stuff over there because he would be out of town Sunday. I don't know if this is an indication that my mind is going, but today, Monday, I now have fifty seven cans of old paint in my shed.

8 comments:

  1. Welcome to Dementia Island!!!! It's inhabited by a bunch of old farts who only remember each other by their ailments...would you be Chubby Duck???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan, Hi, its me Chicken, remember?:D

    - My friend sent me this link of cute doggies in outfits I thought u might like !!!

    http://nynerd.com/animal-halloween-costumes/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the chihuahua in the Star Wars costume. Mark tried to dress Chandler up, but he ate the wig.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha thats so chandler :D

    I really liked the star wars too, also the lobster & chef ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still think you should paint your house with all the colors. Sort of like the coat of many colors that Dolly wore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you paint your house in all of those colors then for sure people (esp neighbors) will know you have left for "Dementia Island"! They will think the waste collection was a ruse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you go to the Haitian neighborhoods around here, you will find houses painted like that.

    ReplyDelete