Monday, February 16, 2009

Dog Fight

Almost every time I eat, a little bit of food ends up on my shirt just above my belly, it used to fall all the way to my lap. My expensive mattress that was supposed to last ten years, has a noticeable sag on my side while over on skinny-ass Mark's side it's still as firm as the day we bought it. I can't tie my shoes without unbuckling my belt, that is unless my belt is already unbuckled because it is just more comfortable that way. When I walk, my thighs rub together and my ass cheeks chafe. I find I go through more containers of baby powder than a woman with octuplets. I probably wouldn't have so many problems with my feet if they weren't trying to support thirty three percent more weight than they did twelve years ago.

And the war against fat goes on. I know all you skinny bastards are saying, "Just don't eat so much", but you have never lived with Mark. Last night, for dinner, we had a delicious salad of greens, citrus, and goat cheese, with a light vinaigrette. The main course was Swedish meat balls on egg noodles. I know that doesn't sound too bad, but it was followed by Mark's homemade strawberry shortcake smothered in whipped-cream, and not the kind that comes in a can or tub, but real cream, whipped up with sugar. I challenge anybody to resist that dessert.

Every day I start out with good intentions, then around five in the evening Mark starts cooking, and Chandler and I find ourselves hanging around the kitchen drooling, and hoping for a morsel of food to come our way. I know I've lost all hope when I find myself diving for the same piece of meat that Mark has thrown to the dog. This morning I will try again, and I hope that I find the will power to eat with moderation today. That would please Chandler, he hates the competition.

10 comments:

  1. great minds Alan...this weekend my girlfriend tried to make me feel better by tearing out an "Oprah" article that said BMI index or whatever the f*ck it is, isn't the best way to measure health...I go to the gym, but with me being 20 yrs everyone's senior I feel like I should get paid for being the entertainment. Now...put me against any one of those skinny b*tches in an ice cream eating contest-bada bing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the best way to measure health is whether or not you can get out of bed in the morning. I usually can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But, do you roll out of bed or do you jump out of bed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eat something you make in mid afternoon then go to the gym just as Mark starts to cook. Drink slots of fluids and you won't be that hungry when you get home. Either that or tell Mark to stop cooking for you. YOU have to take control of your health, weight, and cholestrol levels, not Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alan. I agree with Anonymous. I am sure it's difficult, but you need to take the control away from Mark. I bet he only eats a few bites of everything he makes.

    I am sorry to say it, but I think you are using Mark as an excuse now. You seem to be enabling each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take control? That would mean moving Mark out of the house. Any volunteers?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's an idea. See if you can interest Mark in co-operating by cooking from healthy light recipes, the challenge is in making light foods taste good with seasonings, not butter! Then let him cook his heart out one day a week, strawberry shortcake and all. If you eat light 6 days, you won't feel guilty pigging out on one day. Then take Chandler for a "run"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My knees preclude me from "running".

    Mark weighs 100 lbs, there is no incentive for him to "cook light". We have been through this again and again. He starts out with one or two "light" meals, then reverts back to the fat. Delicious fat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Join Jenny Craig and have her meals sent to you. Mark will soon get the picture. or... Simply don't eat any food he makes that contains high fats, trans fats, creams, high sugar or high fructose corn syrup, sodium enriched foods, high carbs.

    Eat more fruits and veggies, steam your veggies and serve with BROWN rice and maybe small portions of meat or protien rich beans or soy burger crumbles. Try to cut down on processed foods that come in boxes and cans. Eat more natural foods. It may be bland at first but try going to some vegetarian web sites and print out healthy receipes to challenge Mark to cook for you.

    If I slapped you in the face would you just take it and then cry about it or would you fight back? !!! Get out there and stand up for what you want. It is your health at stake here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the comparison Garet made to being slapped. It makes sense to me.

    ReplyDelete