Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Dog School

Yesterday was dog walking day at the shelter, and for the first time I didn't have any help. I was the lone walker for the big dogs. I walked nine dogs, a total of three miles. Without other people there to chat with while walking the dogs, I had time to contemplate these dogs lot in life, and what I've learned from them.I've learned that sometimes when the sign on the door of the kennel says, 'This dog bites', it means that the dog will bite you. Other times it just means that the dog will bite other people. The only way to figure it out is to open the gate. I have found that Ace the German Sheppard will bite me, Candy the Chihuahua will bite me, but Caesar the Husky/Sheppard mix likes me too much to bite me. I like Caesar.

Here at home, Chandler has been teaching me dog things also. First, if you invite a dog to jump up into your bed just once, you can be sure that the bed is no longer yours, it's his, and he will grudingly let you sleep in it. Secondly, no matter how badly a dog has to go poop, or pee, if the first thing he sees when he goes out the door is a lizard, he will forget all about pooping until fifteen minutes after he has come back into the house. Chasing the lizard is much more important. Finally, I have learned that some dogs develop a respect for a large cat with long sharp claws. While other dogs will continue to harass the cat, no matter how many times he gets clawed. Molly figured it out, Chandler still hasn't.

2 comments:

  1. What is it with dogs and their "elimination process"? ZOE(!) has trained me to not ignore her frantic and repeated barking in my face....she really, really has to GO!!! But it always takes 15 minutes of sauntering around, sniffing every blade of grass and wayward breeze, before anything happens. My begging to "GO" and cursing make no difference. Bringing her back in the house and relaxing on the couch is apparently the trigger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They hate to see those lazy humans just laying around doing nothing. The last few nights Chandler has decided that he needs to go pee and poop at four in the morning.

    ReplyDelete