Tuesday, May 11, 2010

$500

Warning: If my poop stories bother you, go no further.

I'm not the most diligent person when it comes to picking up dog poop. When I had Molly, I almost never picked it up, but now with Chandler I have almost been reformed. If he poops on a neighbors lawn I definitely clean up after him, but if he goes down by the church, I have rules. The church rules are these, in the daylight if he does it anywhere but up under the bushes, I clean it up. If he drops his load after dark however, and he is up close to the fence or even near the bushes, I leave it. Otherwise, I'm there with the rest of my neighbors walking proudly up the street with a nice, neat, bag of dog shit.

For the last two years I have been walking dogs at Abandoned Pet Rescue, two days a week. Our route for walking the dogs is a two block stretch of weeds and rocks, along the FEC railroad tracks. In addition to the weeds and rocks, there is usually a good smattering of medical waste, discarded liquor bottles, used condoms, and various chunks of household goods ranging from furniture to luggage. So you can understand why when one of our dogs stops to drop a load, we don't really feel it necessary to bend over, and pick it up. Obviously nobody cares about this strip of land. At least that's what we all thought. Last week the city of Fort Lauderdale sent a policeman to the shelter to advise them that we must pick up all the dog poop along that stretch of land. If we are caught letting a dog crap and don't clean it up, it will cost the shelter $500 for each dog. It seems the budget crisis has got so bad in Fort Lauderdale that they are scouring the law books looking for new revenue streams, and somebody saw dollar signs in dog shit.

My first impulse was to defy the order. That is my first impulse whenever cops are involved. I hate being pushed around by steroid bloated bullies. Of course, after I thought about it for a while, I realized that I couldn't put the shelter in jeopardy of getting a fine, so I grabbed a handful of bags and joined the crowd. I'm sure it will all work out just fine, and I'll get used to the job of picking up warm, steaming turds. I just wish the shelter would feed the dogs something that will firm them up a little.

5 comments:

  1. Ahhh, thank you for a return to poop stories!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love poop stories and poop humor!!! Awesome!!

    Okay so I have to admit, I always pick up after my dogs. I can't stand it when others don't pick up after their dogs. It makes me want to scream. HOWEVER...I can COMPLETELY understand having an aversion to picking up after dogs who are fed poor quality foods, that result in sludgey and watery poops, which are nearly impossible to clean up. That's just gross...and it's not good for the doggies either.

    Thanks for the poop story Alan!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now suggest to the authorities that they fine the railroad for all the waste along their land. Perhaps they should post a cop or put up a camera.........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peggy, ........or maybe they should just leave us and our orphaned dogs alone. Power to the poople!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be nice to get all the volunteers to not only keep this area clean for the animals sake but ask the city or railroad if this stretch of land could be transformed into a a dog park with better grass, a walking path, flowers, landscaping, a doggie obstacle course, etc. I would volunteer to help with this project. Maybe the city or railroad would donate to it rather than trying to fine you guys. Put the ball in their court and see what happens. You might be pleasantly surprised. It is worth a try.

    ReplyDelete