Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Frequent Power Loss

I was sitting at the computer Sunday afternoon, looking up some interesting facts about things (naked people?), and on the cd player was my newest purchase, 'Girl Group Greats' cranked up to party volume. Just as 'He's So Fine' by the Chiffons started, and a photo of Elliot Tittensor popped up on my screen, the house went dark and silent. FPL had struck again. How in the hell can a power company that charges one of the highest rates in the country, constantly allow my house to go dead, and why on the hottest day of the year.

After making the call to the power company, and bitching out a totally unconcerned man at the help desk, I learned that we would be without electricity for at least two hours. So to kill time I took Chandler out for an early walkies, where I found that most of my dog owning neighbors had the same idea, and were roaming the streets. While I and my neighbors were all standing around whining about no air-conditioning, the dogs were having a great time. When we had beaten the subject of FPL being the worst power company in the USA, to death, I decided it was time to take Chandler back home and wait it out. Unfortunately, while we had been outside, the inside had been heating up to a totally unacceptable eighty five degrees, with an equally high humidity. As the puddles of sweat under my man-boobs started to spread out across my shirt I realized there was only one answer to this. Sunday afternoon in a bar. It actually turned out great. Sidelines bar has a Sunday special, five bottles of beer in a bucket for fifteen dollars. They also have twenty large flat screen televisions showing every baseball game being played. The best part was that they had the air-conditioning blasting, and those man-boob sweat marks evaporated in no time. Of course by the third beer I really didn't care about that.

3 comments:

  1. It's that time of the damn year again. We were without power for three hours on Saturday. Thankfully, it's not insufferably hot here yet, so we took our cocktails out to the porch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop complaining, you could be in Tennessee and it wouldn't be sweat that was drenching you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Peggy, there is no way I'd be in Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete