Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Home Next to a Jiffy Lube is Just as Prestigious as Ocean Front. Thank You BP.

I've taken on quite a few projects around here lately. Today I am hanging a new office door to match the one I put up for the bathroom last week. While I'm doing that the television is on in the other room, tuned in to one of the cable news networks. All afternoon I've been hearing about how British Petroleum has destroyed the Gulf of Mexico, and why hasn't the President fixed it. I'm trying to take care of my little corner of the world, and all the while, world wide, corporate giants are working on destroying it. The facts are quite simple, ecologists have been warning about the dangers of drilling off shore for forty years. Now the worst has happened. Everyone is bitching that the president isn't doing enough. What would they have him do, swim down one mile below the ocean, and put his finger in the hole? We can scream all we want about stopping the oil gusher in the gulf, but unfortunately the only people who have any expertise in these things are the oil companies themselves. Oh, and one more thing, anybody who has ever uttered the words "Drill, baby, drill" needs to shut the hell up.

Sorry, I didn't mean to go off on that subject. What I really wanted to write about is Home Depot, and  corporate incompetence. After spending thousands of dollars at the Depot over the years, I have noticed a couple of things. If you have a project, it is a guarantee that Home Depot will not have all the parts and tools you need to finish it. Half of the unfinished projects around here are because of that, and once I stop working on a project it's very hard to get me motivated again. The second thing I noticed is that when you return a product to Home Depot, for any reason, like it's broken, or parts are missing, the folks working at Home Depot simply tape the package back together, and return the damn thing to the shelf. Which is why last week I purchased a door knob set that had no screws, and yesterday I purchased an electric planer, that when I opened it up to install the blades, I found saw dust. The damn thing had been used. Apparently some people are confused, and can't tell the difference between the tool rental desk and the sales shelves. Honestly, if I were going to buy a tool just to return it when I was done, I would buy top of the line, not the cheapest one, like I did.

11 comments:

  1. I don't get it either, that business with the President.
    After all, wasn't everybody clapping and singing along with Sarah? (I read recently that her answer to the catastrophe is that drilling in the Alaskan Tundra would have been much safer, or something along that line.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess Republicans need to get their funky asses down to the Gulf to help with the clean-up. After all, I believe they were the ones who were pushing for off-shore drilling.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhvRQyRdVEI

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess Bush started the ball rolling...

    Further proof at this You Tube link...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eel0zZJT_1c

    Alan, I know what you are going through. I have had the same experience at Home Depot. At least the clerks are friendly and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is not a democrat or republican issue (although they both love to use it for their purposes) but the insatiable need for cheap fuel. If we truly looked for alternative energy these problems would go away.
    Wouldn't it be nice to let the middle east sink back into the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely! We knew there was going to be trouble thirty seven years ago when the Arabs embargoed oil, and we had lines at the gas stations. Through Democratic and Republican governments nothing was done. If we had started way back then and pushed it ahead as we did with getting a man to the moon, we'd all be driving around in hydrogen gas powered cars now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always wondered why the big push into outer space when we could use that money right here on earth! Until our problems are worked out, leave the aliens alone!! But I suppose they are thinking there is OIL up there.....

    Home Depot stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Obama said he has been at the helm and in control for the last 36 days. Today, he visited a white sandy beach then headed to Chicago for a few pick up games.One thing this demonstrates, somebody isn't tell the truth about running out of oil.
    Looks like Rahm is doing things the Chicago way.I bet Sastak wishes he never took the call from Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course if you hate Obama, no amount of reason will ever change your mind. The real culprit in all this is Dick Cheney and the secret meeting he had with the big oil men during the first months of the Bush administration. He basically told the oil companies, do what you want, we won't interfere. Not to mention the fact that Bush/Cheney dismantled the workings of the government for eight years so that it would appear that 'big government' doesn't work. Obama is not the messiah, and I never believed that he was all that innocent and pure. He is a politician who does political things, only much less lethal than the republican politicians we have been subjected to for the eight years before him. At least he tries to work with the members of congress even though the republicans are cowed by Rush Limbaugh into always voting no. I guess Obama had better get his scuba gear ready to go down and plug Dick Cheney's leak.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Al, the greenies,the left and looks like many of your readers are giddy with joy over the oil spill. They were correct all along. Oil and America are the demons. Let's see we have Sahah mentioned, funky ass Republicans,energy is too cheap,hydrogen cells,Bush, Cheney,and on and on. Look who says he is in charge. Who resigned last week? (Elizabeth Birnbaum).The President claims ignorance. Why did she resign (or was she going to be fired?) The Obama administration just inspected the rig 10 days before it blew up and gave it glowing report.I place the lack of leadership squarely on Obama and his political hacks. I have no hope that we'll ever see change in Washington D.C.while this bunch is in power.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What change? Conservatives hate change, they are fearful of change. I'm sorry Obama missed the problems when he inspected that oil rig 10 days before it blew up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mr. Anonymous 4 & 5....we all know who you are, why are you too chicken-shit to put your name to your beliefs? I'd value those comments more if I had ever heard you rip Bush/Cheney for THEIR failings....and they had their share. They set us up for the mess we are in now, 8 years of behind the scenes wheeling and dealing... like all politicians do!

    ReplyDelete