Tuesday, August 17, 2010

We'll Leave The Lights On For Y'all

Coming back home from Chicago, we stopped at a hotel in Georgia, where I had to sign an agreement that we wouldn't leave the dog alone in the room. This was a little problematic, since after the long drive we wanted to have a couple of drinks, so we were obliged to bring Chandler along with us when we went down to the hotel bar for cocktails. Luckily, drunks love dogs. One of the patrons was gushing all over Chandler when she asked, "So who's dog is Chandler?".
"He's ours.", I replied.
She looked at me, then at Mark, and I could see the gears whirring around behind her bleary eyes. "Oh, I see.", She snipped, and that was the last of her.

Traveling with a dog has it's challenges. On our way up to Chicago we stayed at a motel just north of Atlanta. It was the only one we could find that would allow a dog over twenty five pounds. When I took Chandler out for his late night walkies, I discovered why they didn't care about the dog. Between the prostitutes, and their pimps lurking in front of the motel, and the rats running across the parking lot, Chandler was considered a higher class of tenant.

That motel wasn't even the worst. In Tennessee we were stuck in a dump called the Sleep Inn. I dare say, very little sleeping is actually done there. The view out of our room window was of the air-conditioning system, and an Arby's drive thru. Inside the room, the carpeting was a slimy, dirty mess, and on each bed were filthy duvets. I immediately threw the duvets on the floor when we arrived, envisioning all the naked asses that had sat on them over the years. I was also very careful to not let my bare feet ever touch that floor. Chandler on the other hand found the place to be a wonderland of odors. It was kind of unsettling when he would come across a spot on the carpet, and spend an inordinate amount of time snuffling up the aroma. In fact I was almost relieved when he lost interest in the carpeting, and discovered how much fun it was to leap from bed to bed. Which he did, off and on, for a couple of hours. Despite the fact that I felt dirtier after taking a shower in that room, and I had to listen to Mark carp the whole time about the dump I had picked out for our stay, I was happy. My dog was with me, and my dog was happy. He got to groove on some really funky odors, and nobody yelled at him when he jumped on the furniture.

6 comments:

  1. You should have seen what I did to the pillows you were sleeping on...YUCK...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am so sorry about all these crappy places a dog owner is forced to repair to!

    You should come to Europe.
    I was checking really nice B&B in Provence for example, and most would allow dogs (they are allowed in restaurants too, btw).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to France, and other countries in Europe. So civilized, except they need to pick up the dog poop in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alan, we brought both our dogs to FLA and we stayed at brand new LaQuinta Inns & Suites,(Macon, Ga., Bowling Green, and one more) and they welcome dogs. They even had doggie poo bags out in back where you could walk them. Jac is 65 lbs and Critter 25 and it was no problem. We found out about LaQuinta from a women who shows dogs. It was great, new rooms, new beds, etc. If there is a next time, I would suggest trying them!!
    Glad you made it back OK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sue, the hotel where we had the free cocktails was a LaQuinta in Valdosta, Georgia. Unfortunately that was the last place we stayed before coming home. If I had known how nice they were I would have gone out of my way to find them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure Chandler made a bit of noise jumping from bed to bed. Good thing he got to get some of that pent up energy out. The funny part is no one thought twice of the noises they might have been hearing in the room...Yuck!

    ReplyDelete