Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Respect My Authority

We have dipped the torches in kerosene, and sharpened our pitchforks. The villagers are getting ready to storm the castle. Well not quite, we actually are getting ready to take on city hall. It's the residents against the gigantic gay resort, part one.

In a previous story I told of how they plan to tear down the church at the end of our block and build a five story, one hundred and twenty five unit, gay resort/hotel complex. Now obviously it's not the gay part I worry about, that's actually a plus. It's the traffic and noise thing that has caused the entire neighborhood to be up in arms. In an attempt to block the complex, this past Thursday an anti G-resort meeting was called for all who wanted to attend. So many irate citizens showed up that folks were spilling out of the room, and out into the hallway.

About a hundred and thirty people came to the meeting in a very pissed off and angry mood, and after an hour of people coming up with all sorts of cockamamie ideas, it was finally decided that we'd have a petition, and all show up at every city hall, and zoning meeting en masse. What's more, each block in the neighborhood was to have a block captain to make sure everyone signed the petition, and showed up at the meetings. Guess who was named block captain for our block.

Thank you, thank you. I want to say that I am humbled by your choice and trust in me, and I pledge that I will fulfill my role as Block Captain to the best of my ability. Yes, I am the block captain. Of course the fact that I was the only person from our block to show up at the meeting might have something to do with that.

8 comments:

  1. Hey Captain, make sure you bring the video camera with when you go to the meeting.I'm surprised the news hasn't pick it up as an anti-gay thing instead of the anti-resort thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I were several years younger, I might actually like the idea of a resort down the street. At this age...Nah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary, that's because it isn't an anti-gay thing. At least half the residents of this neighborhood are gay. We don't want it. The property is zoned for a church with dog pooping privileges, or a park and that's all, unless the city council changes it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get 'em! As much public pressure you can put on them, the better. I mean, really?? This could adversely affect Britney and Lindsey too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could probably get some high rent from their employees. Maybe even rent parking spaces.
    Let's think positive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous, don't think I wouldn't take advantage if it goes through. I think I could even rent out apartments on a weekly basis to tourists, and make more than I do now. The only problem is if it is built, my property values might go down further.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your property value will skyrocket if the resort is built. I say it is worth the risk. You could become on overnite millionaire. Can't say it wouldn't happen if you don't give it a try and let the resort be built. You would have a win-win situation if it is built. Hey then sell and move to a quieter place in town.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous 2, So what if the place is built and opens. There is another night club here in town that was to cater to upper class gays that is now in foreclosure. There aren't enough people with money to support the place during the off season. If the resort went belly up we'd be stuck with an empty white elephant on the corner. What's more if it is built, this street would be filled with much more transient renters. I of course would milk that for all it's worth.

    ReplyDelete