Monday, August 11, 2014

Re-blogged from Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Itchy, Scratchy, and Knuckles


I seem to be getting sucked further and further into volunteering at Abandoned Pet Rescue. It's not that I'm complaining, at least it gives me something to do besides surf the internet, and drink. Volunteering also gives me fun experiences, like the one I had yesterday while walking Sandy, the leash eating pit bull. A well tanned and overly friendly homeless guy stopped to admire her, he introduced himself as 'Knuckles'. He informed me that he had just walked from Stuart, Florida over the last five days, a distance of eighty miles. That would explain why he looked so fit. After a few minutes of asking questions about Sandy, Knuckles asked me if he could have her. Unfortunately, as desperate as we are to get dogs adopted, I had to inform Knuckles that we had certain criteria for giving out dogs. Like having an actual home for her to live in. That seemed to dampen Knuckles spirit a little bit, but not so much that he didn't ask for some spare change before saying goodbye. Even more depressing for Knuckles is the fact that I don't carry any money or valuables with me while walking the dogs. It is a pretty sketchy neighborhood.

I help Abandoned Pet Rescue, and now APR is helping me with a problem I have had lately, iguanas and rats. APR received a large number of feral cats that were about to be euthanized by Hendry County, and I was told I could take a couple of them. The best part about it is that I don't have to pay the adoption fee, and I can let them live out in my back yard. I picked the little furballs up today, and I am thinking of calling them Itchy and Scratchy. For the time being, they are living in a cage on my back porch, and I am hoping that I can make friends with them. After a while I will release them and I hope that they will spend their hours hunting rats and iguanas out in the wilds of my yard. If anyone has a better name for the two new members of the family, let me know, I will put the best names up on a poll and the winning names will be given to them. By the way, I don't even know if they are girls or boys. They were a little too irritated when I got them, for me to check.



Since I wrote this post the cats have been named and their sex determined. Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan have been living out in the back yard now for almost five years. The rat and iguana problem hasn't gone away, but it has been mitigated somewhat. What I find interesting is that Lindsay and Britney will sit on the side of the swimming pool and watch as raccoons and possums eat their cat food.

No comments:

Post a Comment