Tuesday, September 23, 2014

A Petty Squabble Between France and Russia



About nine in the evening on Friday, and Mark suddenly starts this conversation.
"Why didn't you put powdered sugar on my French toast this morning?"
"What, what are you talking about?"
"My French toast, you didn't put powdered sugar on it and you put syrup on it. I can put my own syrup on my French toast, I don't need you to do it."
Except here's the thing, I did put powdered sugar on Mark's French toast and I did not put syrup on it. I put the syrup bottle on the table before I even started making the French toast. He put his own...  oh anyway, Mark was just talking nutty.
French Toast
1/2 cup of fine cake flour
1/4 cup of powdered sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup of milk
Beat all the ingredients listed until combined with no lumps. It should be like a thin batter. Add more milk if it's too thick. Cover the bottom of a large skillet with about 1/8 of an inch of cooking oil and heat to 350 degrees. I like Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon Raisin bread, but I guess any raisin bread will do. Take a slice of the bread and coat it in the mixture, then place it carefully in the skillet. Repeat for as many pieces of French Toast you desire. After a minute flip the toast. It should be a nice golden brown. Top it with powdered sugar JUST LIKE I DID FOR MARK! Drizzle a little, or pour a lot of syrup on them, depending upon whether you are courting diabetes.
 So yes, it was kind of strange that Mark would suddenly start yapping about my preparing his French Toast all wrong that morning, unless you knew the circumstances. Like I said, it was around nine in the evening on Friday, and Mark was on his second drink. His second Stoli Double O Seven. Mark is a light weight.
Столи́чная Double O Seven
In a glass of ice add
1 ounce of Stolichnaya Vodka, or more if you aren't a light weight.
Add some Seven Up soda, fill to about a half an inch from the lip of the glass.
Add a splash of orange juice, and gently stir.

1 comment: