Thursday, September 18, 2014

Raise your glass to the good and the evil



My friend Dennis called yesterday afternoon from Chicago. He told me that he was driving down Halsted Street looking at the new businesses that had popped up since the last time he had been there, and he suddenly got the urge to call me and tell me to meet him in a bar. That was sort of a joke because that's what we used to do, tempt each other. The only difference was that it was much easier back then because I lived above a gay bar on Halsted, and Dennis lived a few houses down the street. Nine in the evening, and I'd be watching some kind of crappy television show. The phone would ring, and it would be Dennis. "I'm downstairs". Before Dennis could hang up the phone, he could hear my footsteps clambering down the stairs. Dennis was right. If I still lived in Chicago and he had called me at that time and suggested I meet him in a bar, fifteen minutes later I'd have been there. But I don't live in Chicago, I live in Florida.

Funny thing happened after I talked to Dennis. A friend of ours named Ron and his husband, also named Dennis, called. "Let's go have a drink." he said, "We'll meet you in fifteen minutes". And so we did, we met Ron and Dennis and had a couple of drinks. It wasn't quite the same as Drinks with Chicago Dennis, but it was nice.

2 comments:

  1. Meet me at the new manhole just opened near bucks! See you soon Sam in Chicago

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, you attend every new manhole opening Sam.

    ReplyDelete