Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Who's Walking Who?



Somebody posted a video of a guy with five large German Sheppard dogs walking down the street without leashes. The dogs all gathered closely around the guy and moved in unison. It's a fascinating video, and I've tried to get my dogs to sit and watch it, but they don't seem interested.

When I first got Bette, the schnauzer with attitude, I figured I would take her for a walk with Chandler so that she'd learn something from him. Unfortunately, the only thing she learned was how to eat grass. So I took her to a training class and when that was done, I tried walking her with Chandler again. It still wasn't working the way I wanted it to, so I decided to walk them separately. That has worked out for us, somewhat, but once in a while I am tired and don't feel like walking around the block six times a day. So on occasion I still walk Chandler and Bette together. This is how that works. When Bette isn't trying to stop and smell other dog's shit, Chandler is. When Chandler has decided that it is time to stop and pee on the neighbors cute little garden gnome, Bette wants to motor on. This results in one of my arms being stretched towards the garden gnome, and the other arm being stretched out towards the middle of the street. The worst is when we have got into a nice even pace, and they both decide that it's time to stop and smell other dog's shit/pee on things/eat grass. If I am not paying attention, I am jolted to an abrupt stop. Usually after a minute or two I am ready to move on again, but the dogs are still smelling other dog's shit/peeing on things/eating grass, so it is now like walking two boat anchors. I turn around and walk backwards while trying to coax the two of them to walk with me as they try desperately to drag me back to the shit/pee spot/grass that tastes so delicious, probably the grass that they peed on earlier in the day. Basically my dogs have their own agendas. Bette doesn't like to go to the spot that Chandler loves to poop on, and Chandler doesn't want to walk on the side of the street that Bette finds most agreeable. I'll tell you one thing about that video of the five German Sheppard dogs. I don't believe it. I think that guy has raw liver in his pockets, and I think that is the next trick I'm going to try with my two hounds.

The Germans

3 comments:

  1. Those dogs are amazing, I agree he must have some treat! I can't get 1 dog to "heel" like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who's walking whom?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't shake that old teacher in you, can you Adennymous?
    I checked on that with 'Grammar Checker' and I think you are correct, but they had one line I loved.
    "Note: This rule is compromised by an odd infatuation people have with whom—and not for good reasons. At its worst, the use of whom becomes a form of one-upmanship some employ to appear sophisticated."

    ReplyDelete