Monday, October 5, 2015

Tusk



I'm pretty sure that most of the people who read my little stories don't like to watch sports. I understand. I wasn't much into it either until my mid twenties when I discovered the drama of watching what creative way the Cubs could come up with to lose a game. A few years into becoming a fan of those lovable losers, I discovered another team just as pitiful. The Chicago Bears. And then in the 1980's something extraordinary happened. The Cubs got Harry Carey to broadcast their games, making them seem exciting even when they weren't. Harry would have a few beers while broadcasting and by the seventh inning he'd be slurring his words and saying whatever pleased him. As an added bonus, the Cubs actually started to win more games than they lost. Not only did the Cubs start winning, but so did the Bears, and then the Bulls. Watching sports was exciting. Not like when I was a little kid in the 1950's, when the most exciting part of a football game for me was the halftime. I really enjoyed those marching bands that would spell out words as they marched on the field in formation.

I was watching the Bears game yesterday and it was quite an exciting game. They won. But when it came to the halftime show I realized that I missed those marching bands. Just think how much more entertaining football would be without all those washed up ex-players sitting around a table at halftime, telling you who did what and what for. I don't really care. I want to see a kickass marching band playing Tusk, or maybe something a little more current, and creating little tableaus on the field with their bodies. It would make those terrible games where the Bears play like they arrived at the game fresh from a night of debauchery, at least a little bit entertaining.


No comments:

Post a Comment