Thursday, November 21, 2019

Twenty Five Years of Computer Repair Pays Off




From the bedroom you could hear the screeching and wailing in the middle of the night. What the hell is that, I wondered? Somebody getting killed in the alley? Mark in the bathroom? No, not Mark. He was right there next to me. So I got up out of bed, stepped over Chandler, and investigated. Between the front of the house and the dining room are French doors that I close every evening before bed. That's to keep the dogs from looking out the front window and barking at late night party people, and it also keeps Rosie the Robot in her domain. Looking out through the French doors, I could see Rosie moving back and forth across the living room. She was screaming like a white woman in a horror movie. She had a problem. I turned her off, knowing I could figure out Rosie's  problem in the morning. The next day I cleaned her thoroughly and turned her on. She was still making that horrible noise. I gave up until I could research Deebot n79 robot maintenance. Two days passed and despite Googling robot maintenance, nothing I found fixed her. Three days in I found help on YouTube. I learned how to take the covers off Rosie and look inside her. She was filthy, so I cleaned her out, put her back together, and turned her on. Sreeeechhhh..... No go. Now it was panic time. If I didn't get her fixed I would have to pull out the big vacuum and actually clean the living room and hallway floors myself. There was serious dog hair buildup already. Large piles of Chandler hair rolling across the living room like tumble weeds in the desert. Finally, last evening I figured it out. I removed the main brush motor from inside the guts of Rosie and took off the cover over the drive belt. It was packed with dog hair. I cleaned it out, put it all back together, and gave Rosie another try. Perfect, Rosie glided across the floor as she was intended to do. I think I might have found myself a second career after retirement. Robot repair. I just have to hope the robots don't become so cheap that they become disposable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment