Thursday, June 11, 2020

Mummy Dearest, 2020





Now that my nasturtiums have started to bloom, I will turn my attention to the mums. Yes, I know that they don't bloom until fall. My problem is all the weeds popping up among them. Well, actually that is my second problem. First problem is that I don't know what the hell a mum looks like before it blooms. Just like I can't recognize women's faces, can't remember song titles, and end up taking twice as many eye drops as prescribed because I can never remember if I did it or not, I can't remember what my flowers look like year to year. (Yes, I know that's a run on sentence.... or maybe just a very long sentence.) So if any of my plant loving friends out there can help, are the light green things the mums? Do mums have broader leaves of green with a sort of powdery center? If they are the latter, then I've pulled a whole lot of mums out of my garden. I'm really not a very good gardener. My yard ends up looking great every year by accident. Seriously, if it looks good I let it grow because some weeds do look okay. And then there are the perennials like the mums. My friend Chuck pointed out that I had a day lily growing through the slit in the fence, courtesy of my neighbor. The very next day I forgot that he had told me that and I hit it with the weed whacker. So I went over to Lowes and bought another day lily, then planted it at the site of the murdered plant. Just so Chuck will think I nurtured that little sprout he saw on Memorial Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment