Monday, March 22, 2021

I Kind of Know What I'm Doing

 


So I now have this ninety two year old car in my garage. Back when I was sixteen years old I bought a car that was thirty one years old. That car, a 1935 Studebaker was only six years newer than my recent acquisition, a 1929 Ford. Anyway, the thing is that I've learned a few things since I was sixteen. First of all, I learned that I really never knew that much about how to maintain a car. Oh sure, I knew how to drive through the Jiffy Lube. I was aware of where to get tires and batteries replaced on my cars. But if something bad happened I always had to either turn to a professional mechanic, sell the car, or scrap it. I even abandoned a couple of them. The Model A car that I bought is considered quite simple and easy to repair. Even somebody with the limited knowledge I have is supposed to be able to fix a Model A Ford. I think I can do it. I am approaching it the same way I did the computer equipment I maintained for twenty five years. I bought a very good repair manual, and a very good diagnostic manual. Seventy dollars well spent. Seriously, If I could fix some of those old Burroughs and IBM computer systems forty years ago, I'm sure I can fix this old car.

 Over the beautiful weekend I started taking care of some maintenance on the Model A. I installed a new outside mirror on the passenger side. Not that easy since you have to remove the hinge pin on the door to do it. But I read the book and ordered a tool for that. I took apart the distributor and lubed the thing just like the books says. I even changed my own oil and kept the old oil to return for recycling. Unlike the puddle of oil I left in the dirt next to my dad's garage fifty four years ago. I left a lot of oil there.


 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes it does. Not very fast, but it runs. The air conditioning is a bit rustic though.

      Delete
  2. That's why you live in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No heater. No radio. No seat belts. Very rudimentary.

      Delete