Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Lost in Evanston

 


I went to the Dermatologist yesterday and he sliced a bit of flesh from my arm. A weird, red strawberry looking thing that popped up right after my first covid vaccination. Not that I'm worried that I got some strange side effect. I'd much rather have that vaccination and endure a bit of discomfort than get sick. Also, it allows me to see Mom. Anyway, that is not the big problem here. I've been to the hospital in Evanston a few times, yet every time I go there I get confused. Last time I visited the Doctor there I  parked on the wrong side of the hospital and found myself knocking on the back door of the MRI wing. Luckily they had an intercom that connected with the main hospital switchboard.

"Sir, the office you are looking for is in the east tower."

"I'm not at the east tower?"

"I don't know, sir. Do you see the big glass doors? It would be to the left of you."

"Um, no. I'm at a metal door. There are trash dumpsters, and a dock for trucks. No glass doors."

Silence followed for a few seconds.

"You know, I'm just going to get my car and drive around to the other side of the hospital. I might have made a wrong assumption as to where the east tower is."

Sure enough, I drove around to the other side of the building and there were the big glass doors. 

Yesterday was different. I didn't get lost outside. I went directly to the big glass doors, and then to the east tower elevators. I got into the elevator and pressed four. I was then deposited directly in front of my doctor's office on the fourth floor. For some reason I didn't look straight ahead at suite 460. I turned to my right and became completely disoriented.

'Okay, where the hell is that office? This doesn't look anything like it did last time.'

I then walked in a complete circle around the fourth floor looking for suite 460. At least one kind person asked if I needed help, but I just kept on walking until I came upon 460. Directly in front of the elevator. If this is a hint of what my old age is going to be like, I am screwed.

2 comments:

  1. Well, we are in the same boat, but we don't even know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starboard or port? I'm at the stern myself.

      Delete