Friday, July 2, 2021

Gangway Politics

Sometimes I lay in bed at night thinking about things that I did that were wrong. I didn't know they were wrong at the time, but many years later it was made clear. They were wrong. When I was in my teens, I believed pouring the used oil from my Studebaker into a hole I dug next to the garage was the correct way to dispose of that oil. It turns out that I was wrong. It is probably one of the worst ways to dispose of toxic waste. I'm sure the folks who live in that house now wonder why nothing grows next to the garage. Anyway, at least they don't have to worry about weeds. My point is that when you learn new things about old things, pay attention. Even if the new thing is wrong, it is right that you don't rock the boat. Do things the new way and you all will be happy.

The house next to me was recently sold. It had been a house of horrors. The owner didn't cut his grass. He didn't shovel the snow off the sidewalk in the winter. Bits and pieces of the brickwork were crumbling to the ground. The apartments were nasty, and he rented out his basement to a cab driver. The basement wasn't really a finished apartment. Just a basement with a bathroom. Two years ago that building was repossessed by the bank and the old owner evicted. The guy who then bought it from the bank gutted it and built three gorgeous apartments. He then sold it for twice the amount I paid for my house. For the last five years, even after the old owner was evicted, I have taken it upon myself to make sure the grass in that house's front yard was cut. I also made sure the sidewalk got shoveled after a snow storm. One of the things I did after cutting the grass was to clean out the lawn mower in the gangway between our buildings. I would then sweep all those grass clumps into the space next to the neighboring building. I figured it was biodegradable and wasn't hurting anything. I did that again last week. It turns out that the new owner does not like me doing that. She did not say so in words. She told me by coming outside and tossing all the grass clumps back onto my side of the gangway. Not a word about it, just grass clump tossing. I believe that is called a passive aggressive action. Yes, I was wrong to sweep my grass clumps onto her property. All she had to do was tell me I was wrong and I would have fixed things. I plan to mow the lawn today. I will not sweep the grass clumps from under my lawn mower onto her side of the gangway. I'll clean it out in the alley. As for the young lady who now owns that house, I will continue to be courteous and friendly to her. In fact she may even learn to appreciate me. Especially when I run my snow blower next winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment