Monday, October 24, 2022

That Nagging Feeling That You Forgot Something

 


It seems that I cannot multi-task. If I get distracted, whatever it was that I thought I was doing is completely wiped away. Like Saturday when I took my sister and my brother in law out for a ride in my old car. I pulled out of the garage just as my neighbor was coming down the alley. So I, like the good neighbor I am, pulled ahead into the little parking lot behind the stores on Peterson Avenue. Then, after the neighbor pulled past me, I had my passengers climb on into the old Model A Ford. You can't get into the car in the garage because there just isn't enough room to open both doors, so I make all passengers wait in the alley. After they got in it was off to dinner and later a stop for ice cream. It was a wonderful evening, even the weather cooperated. Balmy and clear. Which also describes my brain. Balmy and clear. Cleared of all thought when I pulled out of the garage other than I had to let the neighbor past my car. I totally forgot to hit the button to close the garage door. When we returned, I was horrified to see my garage wide open with the lights on. We had been gone for at least an hour and a half, and I left the garage open for all the thieves of Chicago to help themselves. I learned as a child, that in Chicago you cannot leave anything unattended. That was driven home when my brother left our cousin's bicycle in front of our grandparent's house for "Just a minute" and it got swiped. Anyway, I did a quick inventory of my garage. Nothing was taken. Not the lawn mower, not any of my tools, nothing. My faith in humanity was restored. People aren't all thieves. That, or it just meant that no thieves had wandered down our alley for a couple of hours. One thing that is good to know, I did lock the side door of the garage. Nice and tight, double bolted.

No comments:

Post a Comment